Monday, June 14, 2010

GEAR TEST: JACKS 'R' BETTER SHENANDOAH QUILT


A few weeks ago I was able to sneak away for a solo, one-night, backpacking trip to try out my latest purchase, the Jacks 'R' Better Shenandoah rectangular down quilt.  I have been doing a fair amount of research on summer-weight sleeping bags for the past year or so.  I was about to pull the trigger on a Western Mountaineering Caribou MF but went the quilt route at the last minute and I am extremely happy with my decision.  I saved some weight, money, and remorse.

Quilts vs. sleeping bags is a popular debate within the backpacking community.  The argument is mainly based on the fact that loft creates insulation.  When using a sleeping bag you crush the insulation beneath you, thus eliminating loft.  Quilt users see this bottom portion of the sleeping bag as a weight penalty and depend on sleeping pads for insulation from the ground.

I went with a JRB quilt, as opposed to a sleeping bag for 4 main reasons:
1. Versatility.  I get very hot in the summer months and a quilt's versatility was a perfect solution for me.  I can drape the quilt over me like a blanket.  I can use the omni tape and draw string to create a cozy footbox when temperatures dip down at night.  I can easily open it up and only cover certain parts of my body depending on the climate.  I can also tie the loops together and have it wrap around me like a full bag. (Don't forget your sleeping pad!)
2. Weight and compressibility.  The Shenandoah quilt weighs a remarkable 15 ounces and compresses down to the size of a melon with ease.
3. Price.  The price was right compared to a Western Mountaineering bag.
4. Customer Service.  I initially sent JRB an email before making my purchase.  They answered my questions but also asked if they could give me a call.  I sent along my phone number and I received a call the very next day.  When I picked up I was amazed to find out that owner/founder Jack Tier (aka Peter Pan) was on the other end.  Let's see if you get the owner the next time you call North Face or Osprey with some questions.


 So, as you would guess my first night out with my quilt was terrific.  I was hot for most of the night and the freedom of movement I had made a big difference.  Typically I would be using my North Face Cat's Meow sleeping bag, but I find myself sweating all night and leaving the bag wide open.  Now whenever I feel hot I can slide the entire quilt out of the way and get much more comfortable.  No buyer's remorse here.

5 comments:

  1. Great write-up, Angelo. JRB make ace products, and I like your reasons for pulling the trigger on a quilt instead of a WM bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, this is on my shortlist for next summer. The other thing is I could use a quilt to supplement my 3 season bag during the winter months, saving me from buying a dedicated winter bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hendrik - Thanks!

    mcalisterium - I don't think you will be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi and thanks for the great post! I've been backpacking for the longest time and I've been investing in top of the line gears for my trips. However, it's also great to know the basics of building your camping stuff from scratch. If you need any DIY camping gear, I've stumbled on a site that has videos and step-by-step instructions on how to do your own camping stoves. I've shown the video to my sons who were quite raring to go and build their own stove. If you want to know and see more, why not head on to this informative site: http://backpackingmastery.com/gear/diy-camping-gear.html

    ReplyDelete